Thursday, October 11, 2007

In Rainbows

If you have NOT gotten to listen to the Radiohead album yet, don't read this. I don't want to give you preconceived notions. I'm still deciding on how much I really like it. I think it's really good, but I don't know if it's one of my top ones. But it may be. Who knows? Sometimes it takes a little while before you really know what you think of an album.

1. 15 Step-I really, really like this one. It makes me want to dance, actually. It just has this really cool beat to it. I love percussive stuff. (It sounds like I'm talking about Fergie or Gwen Stefani type music, doesn't it?)
2. Bodysnatchers-This one isn't one of my favorites. It's not bad, I mean it's Radiohead, you know? I do like the guitars though-they remind me a little of the rock stuff in the Bends. And then there is the weird "Kid A" sounds in it-I get a little tired of that weird noise sometimes. Just a little too "noisy" for me. I guess I'm getting old.
3. Nude-This song is beautiful. I love songs that highlight Thom Yorke's haunting voice. Very nice and mellow. Almost like a lullaby. I love the ending, how the melody just kind of climbs up.
4. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi-This one is kind of middle of the road for me.
5. All I Need-Cool bass line thing. Distorted bass maybe? I know they've used that before. Kind of dark and menacing.
6. Faust Arp-Love this one! I really like the weird rhythm in the melody. And of course I love the strings. This is one of my favorites. What the heck does Faust Arp mean?
7. Reckoner-The percussion is cool in the beginning. I liked the little melody line at first, but it gets kind of old after listening to it a few times. Reminds me a little bit of Moby (I like Moby, but his melodic lines can get tiresome). Overall, though, it has a cool feel to it.
8. House of Cards-I really like the little rhythmic guitar feel at the beginning. And cool echoey voices. Cool guitar effects. Or whatever it is. A little redundant.
9. Jigsaw Falling Into Place-Really cool intro with acoustic guitar, bass, and drums. And then some cool haunting voices. This is a really cool song. I like how it builds. This is a really different sound for them. They just don't use much acoustic guitar, at least in this context. I like how he uses his lower register in this song. I love his high pretty voice, but it's cool when he sings in a lower register too. And then as it builds he sings in his higher register. Very cool.
10. Videotape-Love the piano intro. So pretty. Love Thom Yorke's voice. Love the driving rhythm even though it's a delicate song. I like it when his voice moves with the piano. It's so cool when the drums come in. It almost sounds like a death march. (Did I read that part about the death march somewhere? Well, it fits.)

I guess my favorites so far are tracks 1, 3, 6, 9 and 10.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Finally! Someone has talked about what this thing SOUNDS like!

I plan on getting this soon.

Amanda Fortney said...

I just realized that I went way overboard in the use of "cool." Sorry about that.

jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jenn said...

I love this album! I also think that so far its not one of my favorites but it keeps growing on me, which usually only makes me love them more in the end. :)