Saturday, September 22, 2007

EfM

I'm really excited, because I'm getting ready to start a very intensive study of Christianity-it's a 4 year program called Education for Ministry (EfM) that's basically the equivalent of 3 years of seminary. I'm not wanting to be a pastor or anything, I just want to learn more background about the faith I have had my whole life. I'm a little nervous as well, because I know a lot of people that go to seminary or Bible college or anything that has a really intensive Bible/theological focus can really start questioning their faith after doing all that intensive study. But I think it will be really amazing, and my husband survived Bible college and still has his faith, so I'll hope for the best!

If you want to check out their website, it is www.sewanee.edu/EFM/index.htm.

Here is a little bit about it:

Participants in the EfM program study the entire sweep of the Christian tradition from the earliest period to the present. Participants learn the disciplines of biblical exegesis and interpretation, systematic theology, church history, ethics, liturgics, and ascetical theology.

The traditional content is not studied in a vacuum. Students belong to small "communities of learning" in which the events of each person's life may be examined in the light of the materials being studied. While the course materials provide substantial academic content, the focus of the program is on life as ministry and understanding that ministry. EfM provides Christians with that basic skill which is the foundation of all Christian ministry -- theological reflection. In doing this, participants sharpen their skills of personal and cultural assessment and enhance abilities to be effective in a variety of ministries.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I will be interested to hear about your progress.

I hope your brain doesn't get to be too big for your head.

Amanda Fortney said...

ha! me too.