Friday, August 24, 2007

My book blog


I just started this new book, called The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I've only read about 38 pages of it and I am already hooked. There was a really cool quote in it that I wanted to share with people, and it made me think, "Hey, it would be really cool to start a blog where all I do is talk about books I'm reading or have read, or what others are reading." So here it is. And here is the quote that inspired me:

Background: This author's mom (the book is a memoir) decides to paint various paintings of a Joshua tree where they live. Apparently these trees grow in the direction the wind pushes them, so they lean so far over they seem "ready to topple, although, in fact, its roots held it firmly in place." The author (as a little girl) thought it was ugly but her mom thought it was beautiful. When the author finds a Joshua tree sapling, she wants to dig it up and plant it near their house. She tells her mom she will protect it from wind and water "so that it could grow nice and tall and straight."

Now I'm finally at the quote:

"Mom frowned at me. 'You'd be destroying what makes it special,' she said. 'It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty.'"

No comments: